How often do you have eggs that hatch past day 22?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Mar 23, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    This hatch has been weird, so far out of 15 eggs, only two have hatched and they hatched on day 22 and day 23. My temp is reading 99 on days 1-18, but for some reason when I upped my humidity it lowered my temp to 97 and I just couldn't get it up to 99. could that cause my hatches to run late?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, low temperatures will make a hatch later than 21 days (which is only an average, anyway). I don't discard eggs until the end of day 25. I have often had chicks hatch on day 24 and, occasionally, day 25.

3. kellyn

kellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    bunnell, Florida

hm, well that's odd... my hatcher stays between 95* and 100*. my hatches have been fine. if you're really like antsy worried, then candle. hours after my button quail hatch, and i move them to the brooder i 'eggtopsty' the rest. only occasionally do i find a live one. and generally i save 2 or 3 that're stuck.

buut, you're hatching chickens, i assume, they're rather different in their hatchings.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I just finished eggtopsies, they all seemed to quit about 18th or 19th day. I did chicken eggs and only had two hatch. I still have four quail eggs due on Sunday so I'm hopeful that they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by