How often do you move your tractor coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coop-er, Mar 19, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    New to this and have a question. I have a 8 x4x5 tractor coop for my 8 birds. The birds are only 4 wks old and are in the coop which is in the garage. Once I move them all out to the yard, how often will I need to move this coop? And how do I know when to move it, strictly by the mess?

2. Twice daily.

8 birds in 32 sf of space is tight and they will be walking in their poo in a matter of hours if not moved around. You may want to consider two tractors that size or just move it more frequently. What kind of birds do you have?

3. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Move it twice daily...wow really? It is 8x4 but also has a "2nd floor" so there is another 32 sq ft on top, they will also free range quite a bit..I have 2 barred rock, 2 RIR, 2 light brahma, 1 buff orp and 1 golden comet. Thanks for your help

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It is a judgement call. Go out and check the condition of the grass every 6 to 8 hours and take it from there. Size of bird condition of grass and length of grass are all ruling factors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by