how often do you need to add new blood?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cestial225, Nov 23, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    For a sustainable flock how often do you need to bring in a new Roo? Can you breed father to daughter, grandaughter? If I keep the same roo for many generations when will it cause problems with my flock or will it ever?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had the same rooster for 4 years and did just fine. I'm now considering which of his offspring to keep. All chicks hatched have been hardy and healthy, good layers. I figure if/when I start getting hatching issues, unthrifty chicks, things like that, I'll bring in a new rooster.

Then again, I'm thinking of bringing in a new guy next spring cause I'm wanting to go a different direction with my chicks. I'm fortunate enough to have room for multiple roosters.

3. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I plan to always keep two roosters just in case I lose one, I don't want to have a roosterless flock. But as far as I can tell right now only the head roo mounts the hens.

Have you hatched any chicks from father/daughter matings?

4. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    I'm wondering the same thing.

I know in breeding is less of a problem with some animals. What about chickens? Can I keep breeding the same rooster to the flock for a few generations?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    These birds are all from father/daughter matings. They haven't started laying yet (and of course some of them will never lay!), waiting for longer days. But I had 100% hatch & survival rates under my broody hens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're healthy, active birds. All had my black sex link rooster for a father, and various mixed daughters of his. If he'd been younger, I'd have kept him for another year or so, but at 4 he had been de-throned by a young rooster.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by