How often do your Saxonies lay? What color eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kansaseq, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I've had a Saxony hen since about July, and she has just been a laying machine! She gives me a huge green egg almost every day, and if she happens to skip a day or two, she makes up for it and lays 2-3 IN ONE DAY. Yea, not normal. But she seems happy and healthy. Just wondering what you other Saxony owners out there have experienced. Have to say I am really impressed with this breed.

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I'm only into this duck stuff about a year - but my Saxony 'colored' Runner duck has been my best layer of the bunch - though my Magpie gave her some stiff competition. [​IMG]

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I've heard that runners are really good layers, but I was more wondering about the true Saxony duck as a breed. I guess there aren't that many people on here who have them? Interesting about the Magpies; I may have to give them a try someday.

4. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I LOVED my Magpies, but ended up re-homing them because the drake ran my Runners ragged and at the time I wasn't set up to give them their own space. Wish I would have kept them though because they had personality plus and the female really was a great layer. And they seemed WAY hardier than my runners.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by