How often does My Pet Chicken make a mistake?Now with Pictures

DeneciePie

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Tracy, California
We got eight chicks from MPC. All were supposed to be pullets but two are showing definite comb and wattles at 8 weeks and this morning somebody crowed!

I only got the number of pullets I wanted and now it looks like 2 are "not wanted".

Any chance those are crowing pullets?

Ya I know , wishful thinking. But it seems like this is not too good a guessing job on their part.

DeneciePie

64261_iphone14july10_137.jpg

64261_chix_002.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered 6 from mpc and they're 6 weeks old. My black australorp is definitely in question. She's got a huge comb and wattles already forming. Waiting it out for now... but I was wondering the same thing as you. I guess only time will tell. Good luck with yours!

Most hatcheries do 90% sexing guarantee and MPC has the same. All the chicks I ordered last year were correct and I have another shipment coming at the end of August. Were your pullets LF or were some bantams? From everything I've read here sexing bantams just isn't realistic, it's just too difficult even though MPC says they can it just makes their average lower IMO. For only 8 chicks, 2 males would be more than 90% so you should get replacements or credit on your next order. The only problem is the minimum is 3 for large cities and more than that for smaller ones or if you have bantams. If you have any pictures, post them and see what all the knowledgeable peeps here think. If you know their breeds that will help too (just in case it isn't obvious). As for your crower, that most likely is a boy, girls can crow but I don't think it happens till they are much older than yours and I think it's usually the head hen.

ETA
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
My last batch from MPC (eight chicks) turned out to be all pullets. I have a new batch of six, and I am concerned about my SLW. Way too early for pics (2+ weeks) so I am just hanging in there for another couple of weeks and then I'll post for confirmation - his/her comb is a bit pink, but it's so small that I don't know if one of the guineas pecked it or if it's a roo in training. I'm not concerned about the money but it's a pain to rehome roos. That said, I am hatching some eggs soon so it's a sure thing I'll have other boys to rehome and maybe they'll all go together.
smile.png

This is why I order females only. I know I'm going to get a rooster or two and have never been disappointed.

They're really good with the large fowl. Many hatcheries only sell bantams straight run. I've never had any ordered girls turn out to be boys, but it can happen on occasion. However- if you are sent "extras", many times they are roos.

Last edited:
Its my Dominique and Welsummer that are crowing. They are full-sized, not bantams. I'll try to get pictures to post later today.

I definitely ordered pullets.

Rats
sad.png

DeneciePie

64261_chix_002.jpg

Here is the best picture I could get. It shows heads mostly of four of my eight week olds. As you can see the Delaware and the Australorp are no where near as developed as the Welsummer and Dominique. Somebody is crowing so it seems pretty likely to me that this is not an all-pullet flock as it was supposed to be!

Any other opinions?

DeneciePie

Back
Top Bottom