How often should I clean my brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mw44118, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mw44118

mw44118 New Egg

Apr 3, 2010
    Cleveland Heights, OH
    I got four (4) baby barred rock chicks on Tuesday in the mail. I'm keeping them in my basement. I'm using a big rubbermaid tub for a brooder, and I have a red heat lamp shining on them.

The chicks seem happy in there.

I've got about three inches of pine shavings in the floor on top of a few layers of cardboard.

They spill water out of their waterer constantly and I suspect they're making a mess with the food also. The shavings right around the waterer are wet.

How often do I need to change the pine shavings? Every day? Should I just pick up the wet shavings and the obviously soiled shavings?

2. chickmom1304

chickmom1304 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    SE Wisconsin
    Put the waterer up on a small brick and be sure it is level, will help with spills and help keep it clean. Put the feed up on a little brick too, will do the same. We have our 6 in a small pet yard in the basement. It's 4x4' square. We also use pine shavings, about 4 inches deep. I fluff it daily and add fresh as needed. For sure keep the wet out of there if you have spills. We are one week new at this and our chicks are doing great. READ this forum often. Very helpful.

3. mw44118

mw44118 New Egg

Apr 3, 2010
    Cleveland Heights, OH
    Thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by