1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often should I offer snacks/treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by M.sue, Jun 14, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Good evening,
    I've always given my chicks treats here and there ever since they were about 3 wks. old. They are now 9-10wks. old. I've found myself offering them treats more & more and they've come accustomed to me offering them. If they are free ranging the minute they see me they come a running and if they are in their pen they are at the gate expecting my offerings. I only offer them treats that are safe and use the treat chart I found on this site that someone so kindly posted for all us chicken lovers. My question...Do I offer them treats on a daily basis and how many times a day is safe? I don't want to over do it! Sometimes I've given them a treat around noon and then one in the evening. They are a joy to watch and quite hilarious when they're running here, there and everywhere with their treat in their beak trying to avoid the other would be snatchers. Like I said I don't want to over do it. Looking forward to some good advice! [​IMG]

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Just don't overshadow their normal intake of a well balanced diet with treats. Don't feed you kids a nothing-but-candy diet.
    Don't feed your chickens nothing but treats.
    (This information from a guy who just fed his six week old BO's a hotdog bun and made friends for life). Ah well.

[​IMG]

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree w/ BoltonChicken I never fed the girls treats until afternoon, so they would eat the layer feed,,, THEN I got carried away w, integrating my flock and gave them too much. We're getting back to normal, but lesson learned.

oh BTW [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  4. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:Agreed

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Common sense just as I thought. Thanks everyone for the input!! [​IMG]

6. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    If my girls are really demanding treat, and I don't think they should have any, I mix a little bit or yoghurt in with their usual layers pellets in a 'treat bowl' and they wolf it down. Happy chickens, happy me!

7. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    a great treat I just discovered is filling a little pie tin with their crumble (crumbled layer pellets) and adding water to make a them a soft mushy consistency. My girls went NUTS! and gobbled it all up. A treat that is their normal balanced food [​IMG] I too am guilty of feeding my girls way to many treats. Home from college for the summer and still without a job I spent probably an unhealthy amount of time with them, always finding something new for them to peck at and enjoy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by