How often should I use ACV?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dsbailey70, Oct 20, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I've been using Bragg's ACV for a little while now. My four chickens like it. I'm using 1 tsp in a 1 qt waterer. I have no signs of illness or injury in my small flock. Please, now work with me here, I've read several other threads about ACV, and most all of them eventualy go way off the original question. *For how many days, and how often should I give them ACV? (Everyday, 1 week a month, as needed, or what?) :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy dsbailey70 [​IMG]

I am not familiar with Bragg's but as long as it has the 'mother' I believe it will be beneficial. I totally understand your comment regarding "going way off the original question" and this is probably because there are so many differing opinions on the benefits of ACV and even if it is beneficial at all.

Hopefully without opening that whole can of worms again I will answer your question with my personal preference .....

I give my gals fresh water twice daily and add ACV to every change; so Everyday.

3. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Ok, great. Thank you. Braggs is the only one I've found (without going into a health food store it elsewhere) that a lot of people recommend. Braggs is organic, raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, and it has the 'mother'. And it reportedly can leap tall coops in a single bound too...lol I forgot what I paid for it, but it was a little pricey. The stuff stinks, but the chickens seem to like it (and it's good for them), and that's what's important.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. Teila

lolz yours is much better than mine then; no leaping! [​IMG]

I use Marco Organic Unfiltered ACV "contains the natural culture 'mother of vinegar', a living mixture of beneficial bacteria, minerals and enzymes" and at just over $5 Australian dollars for 1/2 a litre, it ain't cheap but worth it.

It lasts a couple of weeks when I only have 1 water container and everyone in the same run but with two hens with chicks separated out at the moment and three water containers on the go; not lasting quite as long [​IMG]

5. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Huh, put ACV in the water also? Now that is something I'll have to try.

[​IMG]

6. Teila

Yep, I was told about ACV in their water by a friend who has had chickens for a very long time and some of the reasons he uses it are:
    * It apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.
    * It can act as an antiseptic killing bacteria in their throat and is reported to keep bacteria out of their water. I know it is recommended to people with sinus issues also.
    * Some think it increases egg production but I can't comment on that because I only have bantams who spend more time broody than they do laying [​IMG]

Again, different strokes for different folks and the above is just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by