How often should you clean the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OldRedChicken, Aug 16, 2013.

1. OldRedChicken

OldRedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    How often should clean out the wood shavings and put new wood shavings in?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Every flock and coop has it own dynamics. There are as many cleaning regiments as there are chicken owners practically.

I bed my 4x8 coop with wood pellets that are super absorbent and change to sawdust when they swell up when in contact with moisture.
    I have anywhere between 15 and 9 birds in my coop.

I clean my poop boards every two to three days. My bedding and coop once a year in October when I harvest my garden.

My nest boxes I fold a feed bag and pop it in the bottom; When soiled a fold a new one and pop out the soiled and in with the new.

Easy Peasy!.

I move my coop and run every year around April and plant my vegetable garden there in the vacated spot in late May or June.

Works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. OldRedChicken

Aug 15, 2013
    Okay. Thanks for the advice!

4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    It all basically depends on which method you are using. I use the deep litter method in the coop and clean poop boards every 2-3 days then when Autumn approaches I plan on deep cleaning the coop. All litter from the coop goes into the compost bin. You could also clean the coop every month if you want but the deep litter method there is little to no smell and all that litter that gets pulled out makes beautiful compost! I add fresh shavings every week and toss in some scratch so the chickens will do the work of stirring for me :)

1 person likes this.
  5. OldRedChicken

Aug 15, 2013
    Okay. I use wood shavings. I have 1 rooster and 7 hens.

6. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    I have over 70 chickens 3 coops that is the reason I chose the deep litter method plus to have a self composting coop means less work for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by