How often to fill water in brinsea mini in lockdown??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by finlay225, Mar 10, 2016.

1. finlay225

finlay225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Hi all. I am now on day 18 with some brown leghorn eggs in my brinsea mini incubator. I have just candled them, and topped up both water chambers for lockdown. But I was just wondering how often I will need to keep the water topped up to keep humidity high? As I want to lift the lid as little as possible. This is my first time using this incubator and will be my first hatch (fingers crossed). Unfortunately my first attempt with a rcom mini produced no chicks:( So really hope the brinsea will bring me better luck. Any advice would be greatful from anyone who has used a brinsea mini. Many thanks!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I usually top it off on day 21, preferably early in the day, before any major zipping is occurring. But really it holds humidity well, I've often cheated and opened it up multiple times during hatch to remove hatched chicks and never had a problem with the remaining ones or the humidity.

3. finlay225

finlay225 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Oh thanks for that. Yes I might have to remove the chicks as 8 eggs are in lockdown and were looking good. So will be pretty cramped in there if they all hatch!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by