how often to roosters breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    How often do chickens breed? It seems like that's all the roosters do is jump the hens. Sometimes it's 1 on 1 and other times 1 roo will grab a hen by the neck and another will jump her. Is that normal? Will they hurt them doing it so often? It seems like that's all the roosters are doing! I was told that roosters will "do it" up to 40 times a day. Is that true?

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:40 times a day?---------seems a low number to me. Roosters are Roosters.

BaronVonP and DIGGIN CHICKEN like this.
  3. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    as often as they can. mine breed probably once every 5 to 10 mins from sun up till about an hour before sundown. the only reason they stop then is the girls go to roost. the girls will go to roost when they get enough of the roos too. in that case if one gets down they chase her down to breed her.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any chance they get. Yes, multiple roosters gang breeding a hen can hurt her sometimes quite seriously. Try to limit this behavior.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. How many males do you have with how many females? The males will mate many times during the day. That is about all they do. A good mix is 1 male to around 10 females for good fertilization. If you have more females for the males, the fertility will drop off and if you have fewer females to a males then they can over mate the females and actually wear the feathers off of their backs or if you have multiple males mating too.

6. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Just think about it like this... a hen eats all day to produce beautiful eggs, a rooster eats all day to produce reproduction energy. [​IMG]

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Whenever they want, really, or whenever they can.

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    poor girls LOL,

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    how often do they blink!!!!

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm