How often to sanitize?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moenmitz, Jun 2, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    How often should I be sanitizing my feeders/waterers with bleach? I rinse them out every day with the garden hose, usually several times a day because the geese are such piggies and poop all over them. Is sanitizing once a week enough, or should I do it daily?

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I wouldn't use bleach that often...soapy, warm water is good enough. I'd think you would be killing off natural bacteria that helps inoculate their immune systems if you sterilze with bleach. It kills EVERYTHING...even the good stuff.

When I was new to chickens....I obsessed about cleanliness...and I've laid off quite a bit...and my hens are just fine!!

I'd worry about introducing new chickens more than keeping the feed and water bins sterile!!

Good luck to you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  3. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    ok, so how often should I do soap and hot water? Weekly enough if I am cold-rinsing them daily, or should I wash them with soap every day? No hot water outside, and it is alot of work draging everybody's dishes down to the basement sink.

4. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Soap wash mine once a week...with daily fresh water and rinses.

Just a hint...if you have the aluminum font do not use the vitamins and electrolyte powder in it...the font will stain. I put the powder in my plastic gallon water font...as needed.

I scrub out my aluminum one like once a week with cold water and soap.

There is also this nifty lid you can buy...so they will not roost on top of the font...some have hand made ones also.

To be honest...I do not clean out my aluminum font as much as I should...the plastic one seems to get the slime quicker.

[​IMG]

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Well, i wash mine with water and a scrubby sponge everytime they need a refill. If your waterer is really big and it takes a long time for them to finish, then maybe weekly...or whenever you see the nasty green algea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by