1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how often to worm?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by muscovy94, Nov 5, 2011.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    How often should I worm my peafowl?

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    i wormed mine 3 time a year,

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    4 x a year here -- every 3 months-- because of our climate -- a lot of heat & humidity & every kind of parasite out there. We figure better safe than sorry.

4. quailgal

quailgal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    I worm my birds only once a year unless there is an indication that it is needed more. I don't do any worming when the birds are laying eggs.

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:Me too, usually just in the fall when i am bulking them up for winter

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I would like to add.....depend on where you are ,the number of time can change , but IMO the least should be two time a year...fews months before breeding season, so birds are in top shape for breeding. Also like in another post before winter .

The main reason some of the worms peafowl can cause alot of heath problem ...cecal,capillary, and gapeworm three bad ones , plus one carrys blackhead.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. chic05

chic05 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Hi there I wormed my chooks yesterday and there was a heap of white worms! The farm I bought them off was meant to do to but it's been over 2 months thought is be safe then sorry!!!

My question is should I Give them another dose over night? As there were more then expected!!! Or do it again in another three months just hoping I got them all eekkkk!!!

8. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
  9. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I wormed my peas before breeding season and here it is at the tail end of the season and they have a bad case of worms, the cause of Coccidiosis. I would suggest that you take a stool sample to the vet for a fecal exam, then you will know what kind of worms you might have and what to use for your particular problem. You will sleep better knowing that you are treating the problem with the right medication, or possibly you do not need to treat at this time.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you wormed them with Safeguard you could worm them another 3-5 days in a row and that will get almost any type of worm they have. What you probably saw were roundworms, the others are too small to easily see.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by