how often will a broody goose sit?

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
i have a pair of geese and for the last two weeks she laid a nest of 7 eggs. 5 days have gone by since shes laid an egg and i would think a broody goose would be on the nest all the time except to eat and swim once a day.... but thts not the case here, she sleeps on them and sets a litle less than half the day... is she broody, or would she be showing more obvious signs of broodieness if she was

Is she young, like is this her first time? It sounds like she wants to sit on them, but doesn't quite know what to do yet.

Otherwise I would say she's not interested on setting, maybe later this spring. Maybe there's somethng wrong with the eggs or just check and see if there may be something near her nest that is making her feel uncomfortable. Something that wasn't there when she chose the spot. I had a chicken that started a nest under a bush, I put a lawn-chair next to the bush and she got up and wouldn't go back till I moved it
roll.png

Julie

ETA: now that I think about it, I have a friend that has a duck that the first few weeks she only sets about 1/2 a day, but then settles down. She has done this for 2 years now, she doesn't have a good hatch rate though. I think the last time she had 8 eggs and only 3 hatched. I'll call her and ask her more tomarrow.

Last edited:
yes she is young, no, havent put anything near her nest... she and her boyfriend are very protective of their spot.... i think she'll settle in in a little bit (hopefully) she always burrys them before leaving....

any other responses would be great too!

lol I can just see her counting and going "hmmmmm...nope 1 more, then I'll sit" then the next day she does it again.
lol.png
I hope she sets soon for you.

Back
Top Bottom