1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often will pullets lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlene, Jun 4, 2016.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    One of my 6 pullets finally started laying yesterday, they are about 25 weeks old.

Found my first egg in the nest box day before yesterday, one egg yesterday, and 2 eggs today. Not sure who is laying them as I haven't been around much the last few days. But 2 of them have been crouching down every time I go near them, so assume it is those 2.
    My question is "how often will these hybrid pullets lay to begin with, can I expect an egg per day from each, or will it take a while for them to lay daily?"

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    My chickens (Australorps not hybrids) didn't lay consistently for the first few days but now lay pretty good. If they layed late in the afternoon then they will usually lay early in the morning not the next day but the day after.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    allow a couple of weeks for new layers to get things worked out and settle in to a routine. You didn't say what kind of chickens you have but most won't lay every day. With 6 girls 3-4 a day would be a good average their first year.

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    She did write Hybrid chickens in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by