How often will she lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Percysmom, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    My Chicken Petunia just layed her first egg. How often do they usually lay once they start

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I have a chicken named Petunia as well. She's a white easter egger. [​IMG] She started laying about three weeks ago and so far she's laid about 6 eggs a week, although I expect that to taper off a bit with darker days ahead. Depending on breed, you can expect anywhere from 3-6 eggs a week.

3. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, depending on what breed she is but most will lay 5/6 eggs a week taking a days rest. In the winter most stop laying as they gnerally need more than 14 hours sunlight a day to lay. Last year I put a light in the coop to lengthen their day to keep them laying as mine had just started laying too and really wanted eggs. This year I have let them moult and stop laying as it is good to let them rest. Hope this helps :)

4. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thanks for the information. I was so excited about the first egg that I took that picture. LOL She is a Rhode Island Red. She is 7 months old

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 12 layers, the only one I can be sure of that lays every day, in 3 weeks, I know she missed one day...she is my California White...one egg every single day, she lays the only white egg I get.
    But usually, you will get 5-6 eggs a week from a good hen....

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:It is a lovely egg! [​IMG]

7. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have 9 chickens, but only 3 of them have started laying. One of them, Annabelle (Golden Comet) has laid for 27 days straight. I know this for a fact because my husband or I have been at home, and for almost 5 weeks, she was the only chicken laying at all. The girl needs a break! Now that two others are laying, I am hoping she will take a day off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by