1. sean_wonder

sean_wonder Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    My Coop
    in all the books i’ve read i’ve only ever seen clean the coop once a week. my mother wants me to clean it more than once week but i don’t know how many times she wants. is three or four times acceptable.

2. sean_wonder

sean_wonder Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    My Coop
    my mom also wants the coop to have no smell. how often do i clean to accomplish no smell.

3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Once a week is really ideal... depending on your circumstances. Since your mom wants the coop to have "no smell" I highly recommend Coop N' Compost Coop Odor Neutralizer by MannaPro. It can be purchased online or at TSC
    E2651DB8-6CC6-4F2A-BD78-69DC149B684F.jpeg

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Maybe you should set up poop boards/trays so you can easily scrape the tray daily but don't have to deep clean the rest of the coop.

5. Keira Janiga

Keira Janiga In the Brooder

May 4, 2019
    Hi!
    As much as you’d probably want to clean the coop once a week, I’d really discourage it. I did that for two to three years until I started noticing that my chickens were starting to slowly get sick or have certain diseases. This past month, I found out my flock had been infested with Northern Fowl Mites— the result of a messy, dirty coop. So, a clean coop will keep your chickens happy, and I promise you that if you try to clean it just a bit every day, the work won’t pile up.
    (Unfortunately, I’ve learned this the hard way, and now I’m cleaning the coop everyday.)

6. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    I have poop boards and I clean the coop daily, so easy with them, just scrape the poop off.
    Place them under the roost and make sure they are big enough to catch any poop from either side of the roost as not all birds face the same way.

Aunt Angus, Nutcup, stinbr and 9 others like this.
  7. Tell your mom that she is "putting the cart before the horse". Then stare at her and wait for her to ask how you know that phrase. Then tell her that picking a number of times per week to clean up front is the opposite of what should happen. It makes a lot more sense to clean when dirty/when it has a slight odor. No need to clean it if it is not dirty.... To make her happy, maybe establish a certain interval such as "every 2 weeks on Saturdays", with it also being accepted that if it starts to smell earlier, you obviously will go clean it out right away.

After a while you both will find a balance as to cleaning schedule based on your specific coop, your specific birds, your specific climate, your (more likely her) specific smell tolerance, etc... It will also probably change with the season since heat, cold, wet, dry will all impact smell as well as how much time the chickens spend in different parts of the coop/run.

These questions about "how often should I clean" always make me shake my head since they are attempting to answer a question that has 1,000 variables, each of which could greatly change the answer.

:idunno

AshRosc, MomJones, Al Capon and 20 others like this.
  8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    For example in summer when it's dry I clean maybe once a month, but in spring, any day we have a big snow melt, I have to clean or it's a poopy wet stinky mess, which could be 2 day a week depending on weather.

9. For me, it is limited to scooping the poop from the poop boards in the coop on average every 2 days. I am lucky enough to have a large enough coop and run that I don't really need to clean it...ever. I do know of a small area in the corner of the coop that they poop on that is not caught by my poop boards, so that is something I need to clean occasionally. But the plan for that hard to access area is to clean it out maybe once every couple months.

So @sean_wonder , there are many different situations!

10. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    Ok. I'm a Mom. Here's what I think: There are two levels of cleaning the coop. There's more deep cleaning - which to me happens "as needed" - you just have to see how often is truly needed based on your bedding and your number of chickens. But the daily version - scooping and removing poop from the roosting area - hopefully from poop boards underneath and general tidying up goes a long way toward maintaining the coop and the health of your chickens.

Mom also needs to find some "realistic expectations" of what a chicken coop is - it's not an odorless type of item. Even with regular cleaning and maintenance - it's not a bed of flowers and if she thinks it should be...well um she's probably never going to be satisfied - SO ultimately she needs to adjust her mindset a bit, and you need to figure on 10-15 minutes (or maybe less) of actual cleaning as part of your routine.

That said, there are things like PDZ (a deodorizing product) that you can add to your poop boards to help reduce some of the smell.

Good luck!! My 8 year old son will be joining in the chicken chores with us this summer.

AshRosc, Skellington, Klynne and 13 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: