how old are my chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Busheybird, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Busheybird

Busheybird Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Oviedo, FL
    hi,
    i am new to this website and have 3 chickens 1 back maran, 1 amaricanna brahma, and one rod eisland red.
    i bought them from the local store but i dont know how old they are can someone help plz!
    i need to know when to expect eggs thanks... here are ome pix[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    They still look young to me, but the white/black one looks to be a little older?

None of them look ready to lay right now, but I think they could well be in another 4 weeks or so. But that's just my opinion. What I did when I bought POL was to google the breed to see what a fully grown version looked like so I had a gauge; might be worth doing.

3. Busheybird

Jan 20, 2012
    Oviedo, FL
    thanks! thats a good idea

4. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I think they are about six weeks. The two that are red in the face are going to be roos. They turn red sooner than the girls. I had a little roo that had a blazing red comb at four weeks! Really good looking birds by the way.

5. Busheybird

Jan 20, 2012
    Oviedo, FL
    thw man who sold the to me that those 2 were a week or 2 older then the maran so and that they were all hens

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My two cents: they look closer to 10 weeks to me. And the Brahma and the red are cockerels. Look at the pointed saddle feathers on the red, and the Brahma has the flashy neck feathers of a budding roo. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear that. Maybe you can demand the guy who sold them to you take them back and give you two that don't have pointy saddle feathers and bright red combs and wattles.

7. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    By looking at feathers I see 2 cockerels as well. Same thing happened to me, but the roo ended up being great. he is my profile pic on here, was supposed to be an egg layer for me lol

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I agree, the only pullet looks to be the first.

I would say they are older than 6 weeks, but younger than 10. Maybe 8 weeks old at the least, but could be older.

I'd say you have at least 3 months + to wait for eggs :/ And only one will give you eggs at all.

9. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    agree, black one is the only female.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Slightly different ages, perhaps, but surely 8 to 10 weeks. Too much mature feathering to be a whole lot younger. As the others have also said, NO, they aren't all pullets.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by