How old are my chicks?? HELP!! NEWBIES!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OhioGirl, Feb 26, 2014.

1. OhioGirl

OhioGirl New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Help! We purchased chicks today and don't know how old they are. Unfortunately they were bought before we were completely prepared. What is the best way to tell how old our chicks are so I can adjust their temperature appropriately?

We have them inside right now in a temperate controlled room in a large tub with bedding, food, and water. It will be staying cold outside for at least the next few weeks. Can we put their brooder outside? How cold is too cold for what age? Meaning the temperature at opposite end of the heat lamp. We plan to have them outside in the coop once they are old enough but my fiancé didn't give me much time to research more to know the ins and outs of ANYTHING :) (I still love him though!)

We are very excited to raise chickens. I know a lot of know how comes from experience but I want to do it right and keep them healthy!

2. Gingersnap722

Gingersnap722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    If you can post some pics, that would be helpful.

3. OhioGirl

OhioGirl New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Tipp City, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gingersnap722

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Looks like they're close to about a week old, but I'm sure some more experienced folks on here can tell you with more certainty. They definitely need a heat lamp and I wouldn't put them outside where you are. Mine are in a brooder in our barn, but we live in Florida.

5. Gingersnap722

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Actually, it looks like a few might be closer to two weeks old, but they still need a lamp. Just be sure the brooder is big enough so they can move away from the lamp if they get too warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by