How old are my Chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicchickmama77, Feb 4, 2017.

1. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    Hi there!!! I just got these sweet Americauna chicks and was told they are a month. Does that seem right? I feel like they look older. Any help is appreciated! [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I would say 6 weeks - so about a month and a half.

Also, those are not Ameraucana. They appear to be just mixed breeds.

3. chicchickmama77

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    Well that's a bummer [​IMG] hopefully they will still be smart and docile!! Fingers crossed

4. chicchickmama77

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    @QueenMisha

Why do you say they are not Americana's. Love to know so I can know this for next time. Thanks!

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with Queen Misha on both accounts.

Ameraucana... are sold by breeders and are a specific color like black, blue, wheaton. They will ALWAYS specify their color.

Many feed stores and hatcheries will sell Easter Eggers as Ameraucana and sometimes spell it wrong (as you are). They will have the basic features like beards and muffs. But they will not usually have the correct skin color or feathering color to meet the standard of perfection for their breed, as well as other non conforming traits like egg color.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/12/ameraucana-vs-araucana-vs-easter-egger.html

I didn't read those articles all the way through to see if I agree with EVERYTHING they say (as if I were an expert), but you will catch the drift.

Plus your front one looks like it has a straight comb. Ameraucana will have a pea comb. Those are likely mixes... and are you prepared for one of them to be a cockerel? Not seeing anything specific, but straight run is 50/50 chance. (though I somehow got 3 straight run silkie girls, once!)

6. chicchickmama77

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    @EggSighted4Life
    So I got them from a breeder, but he just inherited his farm from his grandfather and I don't think he knew too much. He has many breeds and I wanted 1 week old chicks Ameracaunas, however it's spelled. He couldn't cfm sex so to be safe he gave me 6 week olds so they better be hens. We have a 1 year old Ameracauna, that's why we wanted more. Either way, they seem pretty docile and friendly. Thanks for your input

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hmm... many breeds can not be sexed by 6 weeks by looks, especially to someone who is inexperienced or unfamiliar with a particular breed. (as you describe this person) What is cfm?

He probably still needs to get his kinks worked out.... It is a learning process that never ends. But no Ameraucana will have a straight comb if it's pure breed.

And the dark one doesn't appear to have a beard or muffs. So neither of yours are Ameraucana.... though they MIGHT have some mix in there.

I'm not saying they intend to deceive you. They just need to familiarize themselves a little more if they can't see beards or muffs and still call them Ameraucana. Also, some people who get theirs at the feed store will never even realize there is a difference.

And some boys will be late bloomers showing no signs of boy and suddenly change one day two weeks after you had everybody separated out. [​IMG] Ask me how I know! [​IMG]

Anyways... I don't mean to be discouraging. People make mistakes as they learn (seller). Hopefully your birds will still be great and healthy! And maybe he will trade with you or work with you in the future to get what you really want. My flock is around 50... and no matter what breed they are all individuals and lay when they are good and ready (not when their standard says). Some of my barnyard mixes are actually my favorite girls, just not what I had in mind when I paid the price for a rare, pure breed....

I hope you still enjoy them! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by