1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old are my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New Kid In the Coop, Aug 21, 2008.

1. New Kid In the Coop

New Kid In the Coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    SW Washington
    Hi All! OK.. I have 2 RIR that I got from a feed store 2 weeks ago. If the lady was right they would be 4 weeks old now. I have a Golden laced wyandott that is also supposedly the same age. I noticed a few days ago that my RIRs are developing their combs, but the GLW is not. The RIRs also have most of their feathers on their backs but not on their head. The GLW doesn't have quite as many feathers. Are my RIR a little older than thought or do you think my GLW is younger. What is a good educated guess? Thanks in advanced!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Posting pics would be great and help alot. With your description of feathered bodies but puffy head I'd say 4 weeks. Combs developing and turning red = rooster. However, your RIR have single combs and your GLW has a rose comb, which is why you may be seeing the RIR combs "developing" in comparison with the GLW.

3. New Kid In the Coop

New Kid In the Coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    SW Washington
    thanks silkiechicken! I had forgotten all about the different kinds of combs...that would explain a few things..I do think the RIR are 4 weeks old, and the GLW is probably the same. I have 2 SLWs that I am pretty sure are only 2 weeks old now. I think they were only a couple of days old when we got them. They are soooo stinkin cute! I do have another question.. we are finishing our coop in the next couple of days and I was going to put the chicks in there with the heat lamp (rubbermaid bin is getting cramped) do you think it is OK to put all of them out there or should I just put the older ones out there and wait a couple of weeks to put the little ones out there? I appreciate your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by