How old are my ducklings? What breed are they? And what are their genders?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LauraTheTeddyBear, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LauraTheTeddyBear

LauraTheTeddyBear Chirping

Jun 14, 2018
    Madagascar
    This week (Friday 15, 2018) is going to be the fourth week that I've had them. But I still have no idea how old they are. They don't have feathers yet. I also have no idea of the breed. My friend gave them to me as a birthday gift. Also one is smaller than the two others. I put my hands in there since maybe that can help you identify the age. (I do have small hands though but idk).

20180614_113340.jpg

This is NYX, I think he is a male but idk. My dad said that males are bigger than females so since he's a big lad, I assumed that he was a male. Nyx fits my hand which is about 7 inches. That the size from tail to beak.

20180614_113404.jpg
    This is HORUS. I think he is a male too because he is the same size as Nyx. So that means the he's 7in as well.

20180614_113420.jpg
    And this is ECLIPSE. Since she's smaller than the others, I assumed that she was a female. Eclipse has been looking really weak since Sunday but I will post about that in another post. Anyway, from beak to tail, she is from the beginning of my palm to where my fingers would start. That would be 3.5in

2. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    They look young, 3 to 4 weeks old.
    The yellow duck looks like a Pekin. Size doesn't have much to do with ducks. I have a HUGE female pekin. She's a whoper compared to her brother. One of my drakes was the smallest for the longest time too.

3. LauraTheTeddyBear

Jun 14, 2018
    Madagascar
    And the others might be pekins too?

4. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    I don't think the others are Pekins. Pekins are usually just yellow. Usually.
    They could be mixed breed ducklings so possibly mixed with a Pekin and some other breed. here's my pekin at 2 weeks old I think, she's the big yellow one. Do you have any clearer pictures of your ducklings? 20180310_063625.jpg

5. LauraTheTeddyBear

Jun 14, 2018
    Madagascar
    Here are some clearer pictures. This was Nyx the first time I got him/her. So probably 1 week old

Attached Files:

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Horus may be a pekin and Nyx may be a black swedish, but they also may just be mixed breeds.

They look very undersized for their age. Even if you got them when they were day olds, they would be a month now, and they should be much much larger. My two week old Call ducklings are larger than your guys are, and Calls are a tiny bantam breed. Horus also looks hunched and not so great in the picture you posted.

May I ask what you have been feeding? And what you're doing for a brooder? Such as what kind of bedding are you using, are you using a heat lamp to keep them warm, etc? They really need a heat source of some kind, be that a heat lamp, a heating pad, a hot water bottle that you change regularly, etc.

Chickensrforus1234 likes this.
  7. Loopeend

Loopeend Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    The Netherlands
    They indeed look very tiny like Pyxis says in your other post :O
    My Indian runner ducks are bigger after only 1 week!

If they are boys or girls can't be decided yet. Size doesn't matter at this age. If they are older and less weak you can let someone sex them to tell the gender. Or you can wait 8+ weeks to tell by the feathers what they are (allthough the white one needs to be sexed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by