How old are my Muscovy Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AKCub, Aug 11, 2011.

1. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I have had my ducklings home for a week now and I am questioning the age of them as given by the breeder.

They are supposed to be 3 and a half weeks old now but I keep seeing pictures of other folks ducks at about this age that either look a lot older or younger than mine. I want to change them from a 21% protein duck starter food to a 16% duck food at the right time and that's why I am worried about getting the age right. I also read I should stop making food available 24/7 about now and only feed them in the morning and evening. They aren't spending much time outside right now - only a couple hours a day so not much in the way of supplemental food from the yard.

I can't believe how fast they are growing in any case! When I open up the coop each morning it's like seeing a whole new trio.

Any guesses on sex yet?

Thanks,

Scott

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    top picture, my guess on sex is left to right duck, duck , drake(not sure on the first one). it the middle one slightly younger? i'm not sure if i'm aloud to do this but here's a link to an australian forum which i've put photo's up of ducklings as they progress. the ages are exactly right, you can compare your to them for reference.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8004192

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I raise my Muscovies on a 16% feed, from ducklings to adulthood. Yours do look between 3-4weeks old. The Blue one definitely looks like a boy, The Blue Fawn(light brown) one looks like a girl and the chocolate one i am just not sure about, may be a big girl though.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The aging sounds about right to me as well. I am probably strange but i free choice feed all my birds..( my oldest ones are 3mths + younger ones pushing 4-5wks) My first set have done fine doing this.. so i dunno what to say lol i use all purina feeds here.

This is the whole flock just a couple days ago... there are two ducklings in that pen.. hard to tell though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I also free feed my ducks, duckling. The only time they don't have acsess to food is during the night while they are sleeping. And thats after 3 weeks old. They sure are adorable. Congrats. [​IMG] I use Purina feed also

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Thanks for the information gang.

I'm going to swap them from crumbles to pellets in the next couple days based on their age then.

Till the next new duck owner question-

Thanks again,

Scott

7. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Updated pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are adorable, seems like yeasterday my duckling was that young, now hes 3 months old.. [​IMG] they grow so fast.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by