How old are roosters b/f they peak

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deidreschultz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    I have 8 chickens.4 of the 8 pullets are roos (2 rir 2 silkies). I want to keep them all. they are 6 months old, so far everyone gets along. the hens are red sex links and bigger than the silkies. oh how the silkies try to get the poor hens. they have figured out to wait after the rir has his turn with the hen they jump on her. so they are getting raped like 3 times in a row. bless their little hearts. i was just wondering how long the roos will continue with this all the time pace before they settle down and give the poor hens a break.

2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Way too many roos to hens ratio. You'll either need to remove some roos, or get more hens. They will seriously damage the hens if not separated soon. [​IMG]

3. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    the only thing i can do is divide the house and coupe in half. separating the hens and roos. but the roos will still be able to see the hens would this be ok. i've seen on here that you can house many roos together as long as they cant see the hens. like i said i can divide in half with hardware cloth. they will obviously still be able to see the hens. will this drive them crazy or will just seperating them be enough. i could give them away, but i know they will most likely be eaten. i know alot of ya'll are ok with that, but that would just break my heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by