How old are these chic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jayecookie, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    I got some baby chicks at my local feed store (Grifs) and they said when I bought them they were 3 days old
    3AA2D8F5-7C44-431E-AD5C-5B9F945A7EAF.jpeg
    I also got 4 more from my pet chicken and when they were three they didn’t look as developed (especially in the wing growth) as these did as three days old. So what age do you guys think the Grif chicks are when i got them? 5days? A week?

Attached Files:

2. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The red light washes out any detail and that's what we need to see. But from what I can see these chicks are mainly less than a week old, maybe just at one week.

Keep in mind that occasionally a cockerel will have no wing growth until much later than the pullets.

andreanar and Jayecookie like this.
  3. Sassysouth

Sassysouth True BYC Addict

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    X2

Jayecookie likes this.
  4. Jayecookie

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    I only have hens. There is another photo in the sunlight. So you definitely think there older than 3 days right?

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    So, both pictures are the same day and the same chicks? Where is the picture of the MPC ones?

Jayecookie likes this.
  6. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Don't be so sure you have all pullets. From two consecutive MPC orders a few years back, I got three cockerels from the "pullets" they sent me. :th

Jayecookie likes this.
  7. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a video I took the day I got mine. They're all three days old and range from nothing but fuzz on the Brahma (definitely came from a slow feathering line) to 1"+ of wingtips on the little brown chipmunk that was supposed to be a Welsummer (pretty sure a rooster hopped a fence...)

Individual and breed differences for most, K for the one. And for those who presume that slow is male, there is a huge difference between k+ and K females. Huge.

8. Jayecookie

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    5A190587-9C34-4EC6-A4B3-10F644F05CC1.jpeg
    It wouldn’t let me send the video I had of them when I first got my MPC chicks. So here is a pic of them I took yesterday. The first one is my Grif chick and the back one is Hawthorne one of the MPC chicks. image.jpg
    Here is a pic I took of them right now (right) MPC (left) Grif chick

9. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The MPC chick has white skin, the feed store chick has yellow so I'm guessing you got Rocks at the feed store and Marans at MPC? I don't think you're seeing anything abnormal here, you just have production Rocks that are fast growers next to a slower developing breed.

azygous likes this.
  10. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2015
    Northeast CO
    To jump in here, I think it's also possible that your feed store ordered chicks from an online hatchery, and then after they arrived they had been at the store for three days. That would put them probably somewhere between 5 and 7 days old when you got them- right along what other people are saying :) Either way, they're definitely somewhere around there. (They're also adorable, by the way!)

Jayecookie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by