How old are these chicks - can they go outside full time without a heat source?

OPA Acres

Chirping
Jun 1, 2021
Hello!!

We bought these chicks from TSC - they were half off because they were older. We have had them 2.5 weeks, and they were already feathering when we bought them. I think they are probably 4-5 weeks but I would love input from others.

They went outside yesterday, but I brought them back inside last night.

I'm located in North Eastern Missouri (climate reference). Our weather is Highs 80-90 for the foreseeable future, and Lows in the upper 60's. Next rain is predicted in 5 days

My question is -- do you all think that these chicks are ready to stay outside overnight without a heat source?

Attachments

• chickies.jpg
    chickies.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Hello!!

We bought these chicks from TSC - they were half off because they were older. We have had them 2.5 weeks, and they were already feathering when we bought them. I think they are probably 4-5 weeks but I would love input from others.

They went outside yesterday, but I brought them back inside last night.

I'm located in North Eastern Missouri (climate reference). Our weather is Highs 80-90 for the foreseeable future, and Lows in the upper 60's. Next rain is predicted in 5 days

My question is -- do you all think that these chicks are ready to stay outside overnight without a heat source?
I would definitely leave them out.
As long as their coop is draft free, predator proof and has a fluffy layer of bedding, they'll do great.

Agreed with the rest--they look as feathered as mine were when they started staying outside in cooler temps. If you have been using a heat source inside, you could try a night without it with them still inside to help wean them.

Back
Top Bottom