1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old are these girls?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AlaskaEE, Jun 11, 2017.

1. AlaskaEE

AlaskaEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2017
    I got these two girls yesterday from a local family who hatched eggs. They were advertised as Cinnamon Queens, and there's no question of them being Cinnamon Queens/Golden Buffs/Golden Comets. They're definitely production reds. My question is on age. The family said they hatched around February 10-12, making them 17 weeks old. I'm no expert on Cinnamon Queens (yet!) but am wondering if they really are that old. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess based off your photographs would be 3 months old, give or take a few weeks. Sex links often sexually mature and begin laying by 4 months of age.

CTKen likes this.
  3. AlaskaEE

AlaskaEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2017
    Thank you! That's the hunch I had, too. They don't seem anywhere near sexual maturity and are still very small. I appreciate your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by