How old are they? please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ncsiwolf, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Ncsiwolf

Ncsiwolf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    I found them on the side of the road. I was told for some people they were around five mouths old. When I found them but that was a month ago and I would thank they would be laying eggs now. So you help me and tell me how old you thank they are? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Dunno really, 5 months looks about right to me. Any pre-egglaying signs yet?? Squats, egg songs??

I don't think they are old. You can kinda tell by looking at their feet if they are. Young hens have much prettier feet. Wish I would find some point of lay pullets on the side of the road!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I would say they are seven months [​IMG]

4. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Quote:some time the barred rock one sing I think. She not pic here she got mad at me and run off. I had no more bug for her.
    I have never had chicken before so don't know.

5. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Quote:wouldn't I have eggs by new if they were 7 mounths

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    You probably don't have too much longer to wait for eggs. Combs look pretty dark to me. They turn a bright red around time to start laying. I have 2 pullets that are 25 weeks old and still no eggs. Most of mine have layed before 25 weeks......but some just take their time I guess. There are several threads started by waiting pullet owners asking about the youngest and oldest layers. I am sure some of them waited longer than 7 months.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would gander about 20 weeks...maybe a bit older, but not much. Mine are at 19 -21 weeks, just starting to lay...

How is their behavior, any sitting in nest boxes, squatting? Mine have been getting redder in the face and hanging
    out around the nest boxes for about 9 days now...

you are getting very close to egg time!

8. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

They look much younger to me than everyone else posting. They look small and no where near 6 or 7 months old. That's full size hen age and yes you would/should be getting eggs if they were that age. I think they're about 3 months old, so you're half way there.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They still have quite a ways until they lay - not nearly red enough to be anywhere close to laying. They look to be about 4 months old now.

10. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    i agree with the 4 month age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by