How old are we? What are we? Help!

Flairey

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016
Texas
I recently received two goslings, and might I say! They are absolutely adorable. :)
But the problem is, I have no idea how old they are, or what breed!
I have attached a photo for your convenience, :)

They have gray feet and black bills.
yellow and gray feathers, still very soft. One is lighter than the other; could that have anything to do with gender?

Is it a possibility for them to be Toulouse? Toulouse have a growth under their chins that I'm not sure what to call, yes? It appears that my goslings have a small, what seems to be, growth under their chins?

Is it a possibility for them to be Toulouse? Toulouse have a growth under their chins that I'm not sure what to call, yes? It appears that my goslings have a small, what seems to be, growth under their chins?

No, they are not Toulouse. If they have the beginning of a dewlap then they may be Super Africans, which are pure bred African geese.

[COLOR=800080]I recently received two goslings, and might I say! They are absolutely adorable. :)[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=800080]But the problem is, I have no idea how old they are, or what breed! [/COLOR]​
[COLOR=800080]I have attached a photo for your convenience, :)[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=800080]They have gray feet and black bills.[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=800080]yellow and gray feathers, still very soft. One is lighter than the other; could that have anything to do with gender?[/COLOR]​
Carrosaur is right they are either African or Chinese. The goslings can't grow a dewlap at that age and it's just their skin ;)

Since they could be Chinese, are you thinking brown or white Chinese? Normally White Chinese are all yellow as goslings, yes? Sorry, I have lots of questions haha. Also, don't Chinese have knobs on their heads? And since they do, wouldn't the goslings have the beginnings of the knobs on their heads? Like this picture from Metzer; http://www.metzerfarms.com/BreedPics/BrownChineseBaby.jpg

Last edited:
White Chinese goslings are pure yellow in colour yes. The picture of the Metzer's gosling doesn't have a knob. It's what I call a knob spot and is where the will grow. The knob grows at about 5-6 months of age. African goslings take a little longer.
Your goslings do have knob spots but just not as visible yet ;)
Ask as many questions as you want

One of my Goslings is always "Attacking the air"? Like shes trying to catch a bug or something.
I'm worried that she may have something stuck in her throat? But she does it all the time now, like for the past few days? So if she'd have something in her throat she'd be dead by now, right?
Just a bit concerned! Thought I'd bring it up, maybe someone would know.

Are her eyes open or closer when she does it? If open it might have food or something stuck inside it's mouth on the upper beak.
If closed it could be sick but it should make odd noises and sneeze if it has that particular condition.

Her eyes are always open when she does this. If there was something stuck in the upper beak, would there be a way for me to check? And if I cant get it, will this hurt her? She's not the only one who does it either, her brother does it too sometimes. But not as often as she does it, he's nibbling my fingers most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom