1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old before a muscovy will start laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Yashar, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    I have been raising a lone Muscovy for nearly 5 months and was wondering when she (I'm pretty sure it's a she) could start laying.
    Thanks

One other thing. I'm hoping to get a few more to keep her company. If I get adults will it take much to get them to get along?

2. ThebigE

ThebigE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Sorry your gonna have to wait another tow its 7 months, well 6 to 7 but 7 being the average

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yep, 7months is the average laying age for a Muscovy hen. If you get some more Muscovies (which I am sure she would love!), it depends some on their personality but mine usually take to new birds pretty easily.... the Hens are a little more "territorial" (or bratty) with new hens than drakes.

Do you have a picture of your Scovy? [​IMG]

4. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    Here are a couple shots of "Moby Duck." What do you think? He or She? Moby is right about 5 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Moby Duck! [​IMG] i don't see drake feathers, I vote gal. Very pretty too!

6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Muscovies do not have drake feathers, only Mallard-Deriviatives do [​IMG]

7. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI

Learned something today! Thanks.
    Soooo, how do you determine sex on Scovies?

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That second picture almost screams Drake, the legs look HUGE!! He also has a very drake-ish head... The boys always have bigger heads than the girls [​IMG] Do you have a picture of Moby Duck from above? so I can see the body & tail shape?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    my vote is a drake. no eggs for you, man.

10. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California

Learned something today! Thanks.
    Soooo, how do you determine sex on Scovies?

As adults, drakes are almost twice the size, including their caruncles, which are much more pronounced. The drakes also have much bigger feet and very thick legs. They also make different calls, have a different body shape, and have a different shaped tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by