How old before chicks can eat....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lookin4GoodLife, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Georgia
    crickets, roaches and the like? How about a slice of apple or a piece of lettuce?

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I waited a week until giving my chicks treats. And then I diced it really fine and offered chick grit. They got offered flightless fruit flies then, and 1/4" crickets a week later.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can start offering treats as soon as they are eating their chick starter really well (usually takes a few days after hatching). Then you can give them whatever you want to, in small amounts, and always sprinkle a bit a chick grit on the new food item. The sooner you start offering treats, the less wary they will be of trying new things to eat as they get older.

4. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Georgia
    I bought my chicks Friday 2 days ago and the guy said their shipments arrived on Fridays, but these were ones that had already been there so I guess they're about a week and a half old. Anyway, I won't be giving any more treats until they're bigger and have a little more room. LOL I tossed a dead roach over in there and I thought they were going to kill each other. After they've calmed down and had a nap, because I KNOW they're worn out, I'll inspect them all for injuries, punched out eyes, etc. It was like the chicken version of "tackle the man with the ball". And it's obvious they know each other because even after one would take it from the other, a couple would keep chasing the one who had lost it until they said, "HEY! So and so has it!" LOL What a hoot.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Next time, try live mealworms. It's the best entertainment ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by