How old before determining roo vs hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sammimom, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    We have four 2-week-old chicks in the laundry room which my children have become quite attached to. I have been warning them that if one is a rooster it will have to find a new home--my neighbors would be very unappreciative of the authentic farm sounds he would make! At what age is it obvious what sex the chicks are? We have a Buff O., RIR, an "Easter-Egger" and a Red Sex-Linked (whom I suppose we can assume is a female!)

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Quote:My understanding is that the roosters crow about 4-6 months old and that is the only way to know for sure. I even heard that a hen could switch and crow too???[​IMG]

If you go to the thread about sex and breed you might get more information on your breeds and the ways to sex the chicks by thier age and breed.[​IMG]

3. Sammimom

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    Thanks! I'll do a bit more breed research. It would be a shame to have to re-home one we've had that long!

4. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Yeah I am in kind a the same position. It takes so long and then you and the children become very attached. The bad thing is that there only needs to be one roo for 4-6 hens and even people who can have a roo have all they need. The sex links are the best bet I think and I do try to get large breed pullets which have been sexed already at a 90% ratio. Bantams are usually not sexed but the pet chicken breeder

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Day_Old_Baby_Chicks-c36.aspx

will do it for a little bit of cost. It saves a lot of heartbreak and money if you want only hens.

My roos will be rehomed no questions asked accept about the legal issues ( no fighters) but if they are to be eaten just don't tell me and the kids.

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    We had to re-home 2 our first go round. The kids were really upset until I told them they could pick 2 new chicks. Unfortunately both those chicks turned out to be roos and may be re-homed. Depends on neighbors.

I was planning on going the www.mypetchicken.com and paying the extra for pullets route. Money well spent IMO. But then DDs teacher asked if I could get her some hatching eggs and well, we may end up with more roos. Silkies though, so re-homing shouldn't be a prob.

Our 2 the first go round I didn't know for sure until about 6-7mnths were roos. DH and others were still swearing pullets at that point. Being more familiar with that breed this go round, I knew by about 3mnths. For this breed, Buff Brahma, later developing breed, the pullet/roo diffs for me are comb turning red earlier, coloring a bit different (darker gold with hints of blue/green to tail) and while the girls are all busy about the yard, the boys are close-by, but just sort-of watching rather than pecking/scratching around.

Re-homing wasn't the big issue I thought it would be. And DD was super attached to her baby. This go round I don't see any probs for the kids. Just explained choices are get rid of roos and keep girls or keep roos and have to get rid of all chickens when someone complains. They readily say get rid of roos.

6. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    "if they are to be eaten just don't tell me and the kids."You made me laugh, My wife said the same thing. I want to do meats birds, but don't want the kids to get attached to the chicks.

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have some 6 week olds that I am still not sure about [​IMG] And I need no more roos and I do "need" a few more hens......so that may mean I need to get some more chicks [​IMG] LOL It's MADNESS!

8. Sammimom

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    Thanks everyone--I'm hoping that if we have a rooster there will only be one. Originally I wanted three hens so we got "three and a spare," if you know what I mean, so far they have all been healthy and growing well, if we have to rehome one (possibly to a supper table) I guess that's the way it is. I'll warn the kids that it may take a long time before we are certain what sex the chicks are.

9. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I think by 8 weeks you'll have a pretty good idea on who's who. The BO and RIR will get some good sized comb and waddles by that time. The only "iffy" one will be the EE. They don't get much in the form of waddles and their combs can take a while to show up, especially when you don't have others for a comparison.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by