How old before going outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DRnNC, Jun 21, 2016.

1. DRnNC

DRnNC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    I've got some chicks that will be 4 weeks old this weekend. I've always heard you should wait until they're 5 weeks old and all feathered up before you put them out. I have 20 in several 50 gallon plastic totes in the spare bedroom. I'm almost finished with my new coop/run, just have to make the door. My son and gf are complaining about the smell. LOL. You can clean it everyday, new pine shavings, newspaper and they still smell. Here in N.C. it's been in the 90's during the day and upper 60's to lower 70's at night. I think they'll be fine. What do you guys think? First time using an incubator. Got 20 out 35. Ameraucanas, Polish, BCM and some RIR/Brahma mixed. Thanks for any advice.

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Finish putting the door on the coop and move those critters in! They would do just fine even at fifteen degrees cooler.

Do you also have a run for them? They will enjoy being out in the grass and dirt and sunshine.

3. DRnNC

DRnNC Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    Thanks. Yeah, I've got a run. The whole run is 6 1/2' x 12' with a 4' x 6 1/2' coop on top. They have about 30" height underneath the coop for run space. This is my 6th coop/run. I have 44 chickens. I'll have to get rid on some of these. I got the polish and ameraucana eggs from my brother. I wanted some different colored eggs, plus I think the polish look cool. I have RIR,BCM,Delaware,New Hampshire,Barred rock,White rock,Orpington,Kucoo and a few mutts. My mutts seem to be the best layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by