How old before I can tell

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Conchis, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    So, I'm new to the whole hatching chicks out. I just hatched my first 3 ever. Before this I've always just ordered from a hatchery and I've always had really good luck, but I have to tell you that incubating eggs is a total addiction and I'll be doing lots more I think. The ones I've ordered have always been sexed (and other than one mistake they made) it's always be spot on so I really don't have any experience in trying to figure out which is a rooster and which a hen......so, how old will they be before I can make a reasonable stab at it. One is a Wheaten Maran and the other two are Americauna....they are all pretty cute, I have to say.

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I can usually be certain by 5-6 weeks on Marans, but Ameraucana are a whole other story. Pea combs are very hard to distinguish and I am usually waiting on hackle and saddle feathers to be certain.

1 person likes this.
  3. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Excellent! At least I won't be driving myself crazy for a little while then. The Maran's look like they are such different colors between the roo and the hen that I thought I might be able to tell early. The Marans are Blue Marans I think and the two of those look so much alike, I might be able to tell until they start laying eggs or not.

4. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    The combs will likley give the Marans away early, the males comb will be much larger than the females by 6-8 weeks. Ameraucanas tend to be sit and wait on feathers for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by