How old before I can....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RobandSue2, Mar 11, 2016.

1. RobandSue2

RobandSue2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2016
    New Hampshire
    My chicks are 2 weeks old-doing very well....I have a well made coop outside that would give them a lot more room. I have a heating pad and a light ...plus heated water and can draft proof the coop....is it TOO EARLY to even think about doing this with them? Northern New England temps for the next ten days not projected to go below 20. But think with the pad AND light they would be warm enough...am I rushing it?? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    As long as they have access to a heat source, they will be fine. Lots of people brood their chicks out in the coop from the start. They don't need a heat pad and a heat lamp. They need one 'warm' zone big enough for all of them, the rest of their space doesn't need to be heated. They should be allowed to regulate their body temp.

3. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I also have this question.... I just read an article about brooding outside, but it promoted what it called a mama heat cave, I think. A little hut that's heated. Is this necessary?? I'd most likely put a heat lamp in the coop at about 85-90 degrees in the warmest spot and let that be that. Is this an acceptable way to transfer them from house to coop? Thanks.

4. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Be very careful about putting a heat lamp in a coop, have been known to start fires.

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Heating pad cave is preferable for coop brooding chicks. Heat lamps in coops have a tendency to start fires. The heating pad cave helps the chicks regulate their temperature better, and they feather in much faster.

6. DreamsInPink

I'm not sure how a heating lamp, if properly anchored and spaced would cause a fire? I'd most assuredly be very careful.... I'm using a heat lamp inside my home (carefully!!) right now, as are a lot of folks I've seen posting pics of their brooders. How is the heat lamp on the chicks in my craft room different than having it on them in a coop?

These are all hypothetical questions for me, as my coop is nowhere near ready yet. I'm simply asking for future reference. [​IMG]

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Small, enclosed space, and chicks produce a LOT of dust. That dust will build up on that heat lamp. Heat lamps are very, very hot. Dust is very, very flammable.

8. DreamsInPink

Hmm, I suppose it's a possibility.... but as much as I've read about chickens being super dusty, I've not noticed any dust in the craft room and barely any in the tub they are currently in. Other than the dust from the pine shavings. Granted, they're only a little over a week and a half old. LOL

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yeah, they haven't turned into little dust machines yet. It's when all those feathers start coming at 2 and 3 weeks old that it gets bad.

10. DreamsInPink

Ahhhhh, ok! Well, I'll be learning the next week or so then! lol

I hope you didn't feel like I was being argumentative... I'm just trying to learn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by