1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How old before moving chicks off the light and out of the brooder

Discussion in 'Quail' started by blakemsnead1991, Jul 29, 2013.

1. blakemsnead1991

blakemsnead1991 In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Abingdon Virginia
    I have some chicks two weeks old fully feathers and they are much bigger than the day olds I just put in the brooder is it to soon to remove the older ones? Help please!

2. creekrocket

creekrocket Songster

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    I Just Moved Mine Outside Yesterday. I've Talked With A Few People On Here That Say This Early Is Fine..

3. James the Bald

James the Bald Songster

Jan 6, 2013
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Two week old quail chicks still need heat. They should be at 90 degrees on the second week, lowered by 5 degrees each week for at least 4 weeks, if not 5 weeks. Drafts can kill babies easily. Unless your temps are extremely warm by day and in the 80's at night, I would keep them in the brooders inside.

5. Sycamore27

Sycamore27 Chirping

Apr 12, 2013
    Durham, NC
    If you have two ages of chicks you can always divide your brooder and put the heat slightly towards the younger chicks to keep everyone at the right temperature. If your outside temperatures are consistently high it may be safe to move them outside, however I would still use a red heat lamp at least at night.

Cheers,
    Jessie

6. blakemsnead1991

blakemsnead1991 In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Abingdon Virginia
    Thanks everyone they will be inside another week or two

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: