How Old Before Taking Chicks from Mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i searched to see if someone else had asked this question, i'm sure it's been asked before, but couldn't find any threads.

i let my Showgirl hatch out five little Mille Fleur D'uccle chicks. Sort of an experiment, as i haven't had much luck with my hens hatching in the past. She did a great job brooding and hatching, and now a great job as a mom. She's teaching them what to eat, they snuggle in her feathers when they're cold. It's been about two and half weeks now, and mom seems to still be enjoying their company, but i don't plan on keeping the babies.

So my question is, when is an appropriate time to take her babies away and find them new homes? i don't want to stress her out, but i would kinda like to get them to their new home while they are young and cute. Any advice?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    There will come a time when she is less protective of them. I really think you could take them at any time.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    She really freaks when i need to move them. i have them in a hutch in our shed, but take them to a small outside run when the weather is nice. She bok, bok, boks like crazy until they are all around her again. i suppose, just to be nice and give her the full mother experience, i can leave them with her another couple of weeks, or until she is running from them rather than towards them. [​IMG]

Next time she's broody i'm giving her silkie or showgirl eggs, so she can keep them as long as she wants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by