How old before they stop fitting through the fence?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catsew, Jul 10, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    How old before the chicks are old enough to not fit through the fencing? They're just regular chickens, not the small ones. They're 4 weeks old and seem pretty big to me but apparently can still get through the fence. They were having supervised outdoor time, so its just wire fencing I set up in a circle to give them some play time, not their permanent run or anything. But it is the same fencing we eventually will use for the run. I'm just glad I was watching them and just lifted it back up and they went right back in, but I guess they're not big enough for that yet. Will they eventually stop trying to go through? I'm worried they'll get stuck or hurt.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll keep trying. About the time they no longer fit through, they'll just fly over it. It's almost easier to escape that way. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Depends on how big the holes are in the wire fencing...a Picture would help greatly.....
    You should never have fencing that a baby chick or a grown chicken can fit through or even fit their head through....this can lead to bad injuries or death by accidental hanging....

As far as their permanent run...you said you will use the same fencing.....you should use Hardware cloth with the really really small holes (1/4 inch)
    If you do not use the hardware cloth you are risking predator break in that can lead to injury or death of the chickens.....also putting a "apron" on the ground around the permanent pen with the wire fencing is a good idea to: to prevent digging predators.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

4. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
  5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Ya they will always be able to fit their head through that, and predators will get right in through that...TRUST ME I KNOW FIRST HAND !!!

If you use that for un watched play time, you will have to wrap it with something with smaller holes and something like hardware cloth that will keep predators out...just my 2 cents [​IMG]

6. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    We did the same thing with our chickens at the same age [​IMG]. We moved them into their new tractor, with the 2x4 fence for the run, one of them tried to escape as we came to feed them. It was an emergency fence covering operation, they are13 weeks old now and there is no way they would fit through it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by