How old before treats?????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sc00ter4900, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Songster

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hi
    I was wondering how old my chicks have to be to feed treats? Mine are 4 almost 5 weeks old. I have a couple of pics when i first got them. My daughter is not big into the idea of chicks But liked them.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of my RI reds and rocks. The rocks seem friendlier than the reds.

[​IMG]

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    You want an absolute number? 8 weeks.

Now many people start trying to cram anything and everything down them, almost as soon as they are dried out. But that is generally a bad idea. They have a somewhat delicate system, as do all babies, and often more harm then good can be done for force feeding treats. If you want to give them treats look to Nature.

SMALL bits of greens, a bit of hard boiled egg, crushed (instant) oats, maybe some carrot shreds or apple bits... stuff like that. But, at least give them a few weeks to get their gut in order.

3. Zuesdude

Zuesdude Songster

May 6, 2009
    OH
    [​IMG], from Ohio, Your daughter will love you for it.

4. Lopiekitty

Lopiekitty In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Mine are 7 weeks and LOVE strawberries and watermelon....they did NOT want anything to do with ANY "treats" until recently....I am introducing "new foods"/"treats" gradually into their diets....as long as it's fruit and healthy......when I take them outside for play time I give them watermelon cause they don't need their waterer outside then.

I hope this is OK? I am a "chick newbie" here....so far they seem happy & healthy. I have a next door neighbor who used to have chickens and she said they are "no brainers" but I am a worry wort![​IMG][​IMG]:

5. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Songster

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks guys , for the info . This is all new to me. My family thinks im going nuts for wanting chickens. 2nd child hood I guess LOL. I just want them to be healthy and happy. Right now Im giving them there feed from my hand sometimes so they get use to me. Im not sure where to find the info but how should i introduce my ladies to my dogs ? I think it is posible. My parot and 5 dogs hang out. My concern for this is they can scare off peditors. Thanks for listening [​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Oh, dear! You said the "D" word!!
    Do be careful around the dogs.

Parrots and chickens are NOT the same thing.
    Dogs will turn their nose up at a parrot - and salivate over a chicken.

Seriously, the #1 predator of chickens in the backyard setting is the domestic dog. They probably account for more lost cluckers than all the others combined.

Think twice about thrusting them together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: