how old before treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buffy_the_egg_layer, Jun 10, 2011.

1. buffy_the_egg_layer

buffy_the_egg_layer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    my chicks are a week old now, and i have some weeds, spinach and arugula that bolted, and kitchen scraps ready for the compost pile that i'd like to give them. i was also thinking about picking up some meal worms for them!

is a week old too young to feed them this stuff? they DEVOUR their food all day, and i'd like to get them a little more friendly with me (i hear hand feeding them treats is a good way to do this)

also - if it's in the mid 70s-low 80s outside, can i bring them out to run around my yard? (under supervision, of course) the yard is completely fenced in... no predators, other than my 2 year old coonhound...

or should i wait until they're older?

thanks!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    as far as letting them run around...why not? Do they have feathers yet? If the temps are warm, they will enjoy it, you will know by watching them and their behavior. Treats...again, why not, I am not expert, I offered treats to mine also at that age or so, they balked a bit, but they realized it was good....have fun and take pics! Someone else may have different advice...I am fairly new to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by