How old before we'll be able to tell gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlwaysForever, Feb 22, 2015.

1. AlwaysForever

AlwaysForever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    We got 8 chicks 3-4 weeks ago. 4 were sexed (90%) 3 easter eggers and 1 maran, but 4 were straight run 2 polish and 2 silkies. My husband is bound and determined to name them, but I am afraid of getting attached and ending up with a roo we would rather not have. I haven't seen any bright red on anyone and the tail feathers are still coming in. When will it be safe to name them? Thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Silkies are really difficult to sex and with them, it can take months to know for sure. Polish can be difficult too, but the trick with them is that males, when they grow in their crest feathers, have long, skinny, pointy, shiny crest feathers, while females have shorter, rounded crest feathers. For silkies the trick is to check their crests for streamer feathers, which only the males get. There is a really good thread for sexing silkies with tips and pictures found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/609085/sexing-your-silkies-pictures-and-tips-updated-july-5-12

3. AlwaysForever

Feb 22, 2015
    My polish are starting to get in their crest feathers so a bit more time there and my silkies are still more fluff than anything. I believe they are the youngest of my new flock, but it could just be they are so beguiling different from the others.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
  5. AlwaysForever

Feb 22, 2015
    Thank you for all the information. I have been filtering through the web, but I didn't realize their were so many different types of polish and silkies nor just how hard they were to sex. I'll tell my husband he will have to wait, but I admit it is very difficult. I am already attached. So far the polish are my favorite of the 4 breeds and I had thought the silkies would be.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    No problem! Yes, they are really great. I've owned both and I love both breeds :) Are you allowed to keep if a rooster? If so maybe you'll end up keeping one. They are gorgeous and it's easy to get attached.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You should have a good idea of your chicks' genders when they're around 8 weeks old. It will probably take a lot longer with the Silkies, though, since they are notoriously difficult to sex. Some people don't know their Silkie's gender until it crows or lays.

When your chicks reach about 8 weeks, feel free to post some photos of them here. I and other members will be happy to help sex them. [​IMG]

8. AlwaysForever

Feb 22, 2015
    We can keep a rooster where we live, but as this is our first time with chickens we wanted only laying hens so we didn't have to fret about breeding or hatching eggs. Plus if we do decide to breed we would probably look into real quality birds.

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    A good plan :) Good luck, and I'll be sending pullet vibes your way!

10. AlwaysForever

Feb 22, 2015
    [​IMG] I am thinking I have a roo here after the reading because of his tail feathers and how up they are especially when compared to our other polish that I currently believe to be a pullet. [​IMG]

Sadly my husband has already named the "roo" and we both are a little attached after caring for this chick after a run in with our herding dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by