How old before yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mdoerge, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mdoerge

mdoerge Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I've read a lot about the benefits of yogurt for chicks. What I don't know is how old they need to be to have the yogurt. Mine are 6 days old. Can they start having a small amount now?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, they can. Sprinkle with crumbles so they will know it is food. It may take a few tries for them to figure it out. It is really good for them.

3. mdoerge

mdoerge Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I'm glad that you warned me that it might take a few tries. No one was interested. I finally put a little on the palm of my hand and got one to take a couple of pecks at it. I'll try again tomorrow! Thanks. [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Once one of them figures out it is food they will dive on it like a pack of dogs. It will be a feeding frenzy. LOL

5. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    I always have vanilla yogurt in the house for the family. Can the chicks eat this or does it have to be plain?

6. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Some people say plain, others say flavored is ok. I give mine vanilla, and they love it. Since it has sugar in it, I don't give them very much.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Miss Prissy - I made the yogurt for the first time today... I'm counting the hours until it's ready!

(I also made strawberry-rhubarb jam & canned strawberry-rhubarb cobbler filling... my friends think I'm a 30-something Martha Stewart)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yayy for you! You are going to be hooked! Use some strawberry jam for yogurt topping!

1 person likes this.
  10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    OMG that's brilliant!
    [​IMG]

(slapping my forehead that I hadn't put the 2 together for myself... they're sitting on the counter just inches apart!)

On the other hand, we *really* need to finish last summer's blackberry-red currant jam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by