How old before you can butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by eggcamefirst, Jul 29, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I have a BO roo which I am planning on relocating, but if I can't he might dinner. How old does a roo have to be before its worth butchering?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I butchered a couple of BO roos around 16-17 weeks. They weren't huge but they were a decent size.

3. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I don't know that I have the resources (or want) to butcher the bird. Would a typical butcher take a live chicken and do it?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'd be surprised. You'd be better off looking for processors in your area. (I.e., where do the cattle and pigs go to be slaughtered?)

5. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Quote:A typical butcher probably would not. You would probably need to find a specific poultry processor. If you can muster the want, it takes very little equipment to process 1 roo. You can use a gallon plastic jug with the bottom cut off and the mouth enlarged for a kill cone. Nail it to a tree or fencepost upside down and place the roo in and slit it's throat and let it bleed out for a few minutes. Get your biggest pot and heat the water to around 148 degrees. Bring the water outside and dunk the roo for a minute or so until the feathers pull out easily. Pluck all the feathers, cut off the neck and feet, make a slit in the abdomen and remove the innards. Rinse well, age for a day or so in the fridge then cook and eat! For only 1 roo, it's worth giving it a try.

6. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    5.5 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by