1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old before you can tell sexes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Giddyup, May 6, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    We bought straight run...crossing fingers. Is there a typical age for when you can tell? Either by crow, feathers or vent sexing (messy ick)? Does it matter on the breed?

2. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I have heard when they lay or cock-a-doodle doo...but I'm pretty sure there has to be a way sooner then that! Can't wait to hear what others say!!! [​IMG]

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Usually they start developing combs on the cockerels, sometimes as early as 2-3 weeks, but generally you can tell by a month or so.

Sometimes it's a toss up until they crow or lay an egg though [​IMG]

Go start looking at pictures on the "what breed or gender is this" section of the forum and get a feel for what the youngins look like.

4. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
  5. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    on chicks one to three days old you can sex about 90% accuracy by wing feathers. If the primary and secondary are the same length it is a cockerel, if the primary is longer than the secondary then it's a pullet.

6. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Quote:That would definately be good news [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by