1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Old Before You Set Pine Shavings for Your Coturnix Quail Chicks?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jumbocoturnix, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Hello guys,

I read somewhere not to place pine shavings to your day old chicks brooder because they might mistaken it for food. How long before it is considered "safe"? Thanks a lot everyone!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    I cover the shavings with paper towels for 1st 3 days then remove it (put in compost bin if you have one).

3. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Meaning after 3 days?

4. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Yes by the time they are 3 days old they know what their food is and where it is. I pull up the paper towels and expose the pine bedding that is already in place.

5. MelBeans

MelBeans New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    Have you ever noticed older quail pecking at pine shavings. I got some 1 month old quail today. I'm using pine shaving as bedding. I keep seeing them peck at the shavings, but I can't tell if they're eating it... Any advice?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I don't start babies on shavings, so I have no advice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. Diesel81

Diesel81 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. In chickens, and even Quail, this is an instinctive behavior, and kind of like when they scratch and peck around on the ground. Quail are ground birds, so this is something they would naturally do. You probably just don't hear about it as often, because a lot of people don't use pine shavings with Quail. I don't use shavings for my Quail, but my chickens, at about 3-4 weeks, will start doing this, they are looking for goodies.

8. AuQuail

AuQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    Just read from other members using it on day 1, so this time with 72 eggs I prep the brooder with lon shavings. Since yesterday they been hatching. Right now I have 60 plus hatched and few more to go...

I observed them, the do sometimes peck and pull bits around buy they are not eating it. They seems more happier on shavings vs my last batch on dog training pads.

With paper rower etc.. It's a daily change over ( that's was only 20 quails on my last batch, BTW was my first ever from my own quails eggs.

But the shavings is absorbent... Gone see how long it can last before change over.

Mt last lot of 20.. Are. 3 weeks old,. Moved them few days ago into the pen cage.. Today a cat attacked... And manage to get one thru the egg tray gap... Saw the ginger cat as I walked out with a baby Quail that was too weak and legs were not right.. To dispatch it.

Blood everywhere.... After inspection.. Only the wing tip section gotten n damaged.. Phew close one. (as I forgot to close the shed door.)

But yeah. So much nicer feeling with the shavings.

9. AuQuail

Jan 2, 2017
    [​IMG]

10. AuQuail

Jan 2, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by