1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old, boy/girl, what breed?? (Pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MLGarber, Apr 13, 2012.

1. MLGarber

MLGarber Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    I got 7 pullets from the tractor supply one week ago today and they all seem to be different ages.
    My 3 leghorns are about the same size/age. I have no idea how to tell how old these ladies are. Can anyone help?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there's this gorgeous Red??? New Hampshire ?? PureRIR?? Some sort of mix? Can anyone tell? Is she the same age as her leghorn friends?[​IMG]

Next are my other two reds, who look more alike, except for the curious dot on the head of one. They look to be about the same age as the other red, and being a red-head myself, I can tell you, all 3 are full of personality![​IMG]

The one in front is the one with the dot, if that tells you anything.
    [​IMG]

My little red: Keeping in mind I have now had her for 7 days, and she came with a big ol' pasty bottom, she doesn't seem to be growing as fast, and I can't tell if she's young, a runt, a young runt, or a stunt. Any thoughts? She seems to be getting feathers on her wing tips.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, last, but not least are 2 birds that we haven't brought home yet, but their owner was nice enough to send us an easter pic. I believe the top one is definitely a silkie, but do not know if there is a "type" of silkie she/he is likely to be? I suppose the shot is too far away to tell gender, if they are even old enough. I have no idea about the bottom bird. I am not sure about the ages of these birds either, but the bottom one looks bigger. Not a clue about genders on these. [​IMG]
    The women who got them wasn't certain on breeds because she never intended to keep them. She picked them up on a whim for a little neice and now is ready to pass them along. We should have the coop/run ready by the end of the week, and we'll adopt them then and have better pics! They will be much tamer than the girls we have because I think the current owners have been much more active in spending time with them, whereas we have been much too busy building a coop! Plus I have two little boys (5 and 3) so we haven't really let them hold our birds for fear of them hurting the birds, or getting sick from them. Plus, I don't want to get pooped on - that is to say, I'll tolerate the chicken poop, as long as I choose when I have to be in contact with it!

So, that ends the questions, except for these final two: Will the silkies get a long with the other birds in coop-dom? And if, perchance, one of the silks is a rooster, what could that mean for any potential chicks in the future? We got all hens because we were interested in eggs, naturally. But if we do end up with a rooster (its a 50/50 shot times 2) and we decide for a chick or two, is that even possible? (We would not be looking to have more layers, necessarily, just curious)

Thanks, in advance for all the input.

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    So, no clues on genders yet but the last pick looks like a white Silkie and light Brahma (assuming the second has feathered legs). I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe those are Cornish cross meat birds in your first couple of picks (the all white ones that you labeled as Leghorns). They will quickly outstrip the others in size. The little red in your 3rd pic, I would guess, is a red sex link. The other reds I would guess are production reds. Still a whole bunch of cuties though.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the last pic the one on her head is a silkie and the one in her lap could be a light brahma but it depends on its comb...the ones that you think are leghorns are way to big at say about 3-4 weeks of age and they are very hefty which leads me to say they are cornish meat birds which in about a couple of weeks (16 weeks of age) you will be able to butcher them and if you dont and want to try and keep them as pets then you will need to house them seperatly from the rest or they will eat themselves to death (or so i have heard). not even going to guess on the red ones yet

4. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    First two for sure are Cornish X. Last picture...silkie and perhaps a Brahma.

5. MLGarber

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    So, I'd like to say I'm shocked at the Leghorn diagnosis, but I'm not. I'm kinda POed at Tractor Supply then for giving me "Leghorn Pullets" that are actually Cornish Rocks. I can feel how hefty they are when I pick them up, and they are not pretty or fluffy....ranting...I know they had the Rocks because they were in the bin right next to the pullets there that day, but i'm gonna be really POed if this is the case. We wanted layers, so we got a mix of pullets. Has anyone else had any tractor supply switch ups?

The good news (in a way) is that after we got them home we weren't really fans of them anyway. We wanted more reds. The bad news is that I'm gonna have to butcher a chicken a whole lot sooner than I planned. Its not like we don't eat chicken, but I'm in new territory here without the benefit of someone butchering it for me and packing in nicely on a store shelf. The bad news is that there seems to be a minimum on getting chicks and we would only need to replace the Cornish Rocks, 3 birds. Anymore and our coop would burst and i'm not planning to expand for a couple of years.

I am happy about the Brahma news, though. I like having a variety and think those are pretty. I hope you all are right.

Thanks to all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  6. MLGarber

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    would you guess its a standard brahma? The two birds in the last pic i think are around the same age. I'm trying to figure out how much room i'll have in my coop, as now i am trying to replace 3 non-leghorns.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The first 2 pictures looks like a Cornish cockerel to me. 3rd picture looks like a Red Star and the little red chicks might be New Hampshires?

8. MLGarber

Apr 10, 2012
    Virginia
    The good news is I was able to get the tractor supply to exchange the cornish x for 2 red stars and a rir! We are much happier with our picks, though we really did want a couple of leghorns.Maybe next year we'll expand after we gain some experience and take a break from start up expenses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by