1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old can a rooster be still do his job well?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daze333, Sep 21, 2010.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    How old can a rooster be and still do his job well??[​IMG]

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My roo is 8 and still gets the job done!

3. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Quote:Thank you for letting me know! Others?[​IMG]

4. chickadiddle

chickadiddle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Bet that is one happy guy!!!!!!!!!

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have had chickens all my life, but this is the first time I have really had a hobby in them and pay attention to them as far as age and all that. My oldest rooster now is 3....

6. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I am just curious, Those that keep older roosters, have you noticed a difference in the number of pullet chicks verses roo chicks as the roo get older. I read a study somewhere that suggested that as the roo get older, they tend to produce more roo chicks than pullet chicks. The difference I guess would be pretty significant as the normal roo to hen ratio is around 50-50, but with the older roos, the ratio tended to be more 60/40.

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:The hen determines the sex of the chicks, not the rooster. A rooster passes on two male chromesones and the hen has 1 male and 1 female chromesone added to the mix.

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This quote is from the link that is below it.

In birds, moths, schistosomes, and some lizards, the male has two of the same chromosome (designated ZZ), whereas the female has "heterogametic" chromosomes (designated Z and W). In chickens, a single gene on the Z chromosome (designated DMRT1), when present in a double dose (ZZ), produces males while the presence of only one copy of the gene produces females (ZW).

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/S/SexChromosomes.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by