How old can a rooster be still do his job well?

daze333

Songster
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
How old can a rooster be and still do his job well??
wink.png

I have had chickens all my life, but this is the first time I have really had a hobby in them and pay attention to them as far as age and all that. My oldest rooster now is 3....

I am just curious, Those that keep older roosters, have you noticed a difference in the number of pullet chicks verses roo chicks as the roo get older. I read a study somewhere that suggested that as the roo get older, they tend to produce more roo chicks than pullet chicks. The difference I guess would be pretty significant as the normal roo to hen ratio is around 50-50, but with the older roos, the ratio tended to be more 60/40.

Quote:
The hen determines the sex of the chicks, not the rooster. A rooster passes on two male chromesones and the hen has 1 male and 1 female chromesone added to the mix.

This quote is from the link that is below it.

In birds, moths, schistosomes, and some lizards, the male has two of the same chromosome (designated ZZ), whereas the female has "heterogametic" chromosomes (designated Z and W). In chickens, a single gene on the Z chromosome (designated DMRT1), when present in a double dose (ZZ), produces males while the presence of only one copy of the gene produces females (ZW).

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/S/SexChromosomes.html

Back
Top Bottom