How old can chicks be let out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CBee, May 18, 2008.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I'm positive this question is on here somewhere, but I was too lazy to look around, sorry. [​IMG] But I have some 2 week old Saipans and a 4 week old Silkie and I was just wondering when they could be let out permanently. They're getting too big for their little cage but their coop still needs a little work. By the time the coop will be finished our weather will probably be around 60-75 Fahrenheit.

2. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    they should be over 6 weeks, closer to 8 is best. it needs to be above 75 degrees 24/7 for those younger ones, better to have it warmer than that.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Let outside? Or put in a coop with a heatlamp? I put mine out in the draft-free nursery coop with heatlamps at under two weeks old and when it's dry and sunny out, I even let them go outside if the temps are in the 60's. I have two groups that are just under four weeks and three weeks old and they've already been outside several times.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Well thanks you guys. [​IMG] And yes, there would be a heat lamp but I'm not entirely sure that it is completely weather proof for them yet. I guess we'll just have to make a few adjustments. Once again, thank you!

5. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    non-vented coop that doubles as a brooder, I put mine out at 10 days, and the broody hen with 7 chicks was 6 days old have never been inside. I opened the door in the morning and left the light on and they would come and go as they pleased into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by