How old-cockrel-fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tx_dane_mom, Apr 20, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I did a search & came up with nothing...so how old does a cockrel need to be before he starts doing his duty & is fertile? I have a BR boy who is coming up on 5 mnths old and he isn't crowing yet (that I hear anyways) but I notice today he is starting to look alot more mature. Any suggestions on when I should start testing the eggs for fertility? I'm used to my boys doing their business right in front of me but know that's not always the case & I have been seeing my girls 'dusting off' quite a bit...

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
  3. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thank you for that...i'll check em out

4. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Say Hello to my lil' friend: [​IMG]
    I cracked open 4 eggs from today & 1 had this nice suprise for me:
    [​IMG]
    I guess my lil boy is old enough afterall!

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I just hatched some random laying pen eggs 4 weeks ago and i found out that my at the time 7 month old BO cockeral is plenty fertile.In fact I got 3 pure BO's out of the batch,1 pullet and 2 cockerals.He is now 8 months old and he is a huge boy.I think he is going to go well over 10 lbs once mature.This was him at about 6 months old so he has filled out even more now.

[​IMG]

6. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    He is a big boy. My BR boy isn't 1/2 that size yet, and not even 5 mnths so I am a little shocked (and a bit proud [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by