How old do chicks need to be to get "extras" (treats)?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by snewman, May 30, 2008.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    My chicks and ducklings are two weeks old now, and I was wondering when I can start giving them fun treats. Do I need to start with grit as soon as I add treats too? Can ducks have the same treats as chicks?
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am sorry I don't know a darn thing about ducks![​IMG] However as far as your chicks go, I read here that you should wait until they are 4 weeks to introduce treats and yes you should add grit to their diet wen you do this. If this is incorrect anybody feel free to add something. I wouldnt want to harm her babies! After all I am still learning too![​IMG]
  3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We've given treats to our babies at about 2 weeks old. But in very small amounts... like a tablespoon of plain organic yogurt. Actually, I've given scrambled egg yolk to much younger chicks, come to think of it. At 3 weeks+ we offer mealworms, earthworms, short pieces of soft grass. If you're offering that stuff and the chicks are in a brooder (as opposed to in a yard with natural dirt/stones), be sure to also give them "chick grit".
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I started with hard boiled egg at about 10 days old. May have rushed it a bit, but no ill effects. I've added basically a new taste once a week. Now at 7 weeks they eat millet, wild strawberries, hard boiled egg, cheerios, and watermelon. They attack for the wild strawberries. I only give treats in small amounts. I give them store bought grit when they haven't been out of the brooder in awhile. Otherwise I don't worry about it, because the dirt is the first place they head (to get their own grit).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by